So the last nine months have flown by, I’ve submitted countless assignments, read numerous novels, poems, academic journals, and finally my second year of university is over. Suddenly my summer is here, and I am faced with days, weeks and months of freedom. This has got me thinking: what am I to do with this time? I’ve decided I do not want to waste it like I have so many years before. Thus I have decided to set myself some summer goals. A list of things I hope to have accomplished, places I hope to visit, along with day to day targets. The problem I have though is that I say these things but rarely do I carry them out. This post therefore is my way of attempting to stick to my word. I hope that writing these goals down in a public domain will encourage me to take them more seriously.
- Let’s start of easy, I aim to drink more water. I always find over the winter I fail to drink enough water. My skin goes horrible, I feel sluggish and just genuinely have the winter blues. Thus I will revitalise and replenish, and use the summer to flush out many unwanted toxins. – Though I am not looking forward to the initial breakouts from the toxins being flushed out.
- I want to read more books. I spend the rest of the year focussing on the books I study for my degree that I feel now is the time to focus on the pleasure side of reading. Over the last couple of months I have been in and out of charity stores picking up some potentially great reads. Thus I have a lot of material to get through and this summer I hope is the time that I do just that.
- I hope to go on more walks. Last Summer I was fairly skint from my fresher’s year at university, so I spent so much time discovering new places and going on walks. However this stopped as summer drew to an end and university took over my life once again. Over summer I hope to get back to this. I’m not sure I’ll go quite all out and walk the 15 odd miles along the canal I did last year. However I do hope to at least go on numerous smaller walks.
- I really want to finish my room by the time I go back to university for my third year. I recently moved rooms at home which called for a completely décor overhaul. The majority of it is completed however there are still numerous finishing touches I need to complete. I feel having these all completed prior to my return to Liverpool will set my mind at ease. Therefore I will be able to return knowing nothing else needs to be done.
- Keep my cactus alive has to be on this list. I have just bought a cute little potted cactus for my bedroom. However me being somebody who lacks a green thumb I’m a little anxious when it comes to keeping it alive. To my advantage though I have read they do not actually take a lot of looking after, so I hope this does go well.
- At some point I hope to go camping. Now this is something I’ve be yearning to do for a while. I mean I’ll be satisfied even if it’s just a one night trip to Shell Island. Camping is something that I grew up doing every year as a family, and for a number of years now I haven’t done it. Thus it’ll be refreshing to spend some time, even if limited, going back to basics.
- Something which I have attempted this year already but failed to complete is a week-long technology break. Thus I really hope to commit to this challenge once again, and instead of cracking half way through, I hope to fight the urge and complete the challenge wholly. (Although I’m not entirely sure I’ll ever be able to completely remove Netflix from my life for a whole week)
- I want to visit Stonehenge. Ok, as random as this is, I have a number of places in the UK that I want to visit for the first time or visit again. One of these places is Stonehenge, which I have not visited in a very long time. It is one of the many places in the UK which has an intriguing history and has inspired many for various reasons. Therefore I want to find a day that I can head down there once again and experience the monument for myself.
- Another place I want to visit is Bath. Again, this is a strange one. I have for a while though wanted to visit the Roman Baths. Thus I finally hope to get down there and make this visit.
- I will drink less alcohol. Last summer I went completely T-total, and I must say it felt great. Not only for the accomplishment, but in myself. I did however find that I began to avoid any social interaction which may have put me in the position of drinking again. (apparently I have no self-control when I’m with friends) This year though I will not be quite as extreme, I will aim to find a middle ground. (how much of an alcoholic does this make me look? but i promise you, i am not one)
- I aim to learn about Greek mythology. You begin to learn about this stuff in school but my knowledge is fairly minimum. For some reason though this bothers me. Therefore by the end of summer I hope to have built on my foundational knowledge of this topic. Even if this means purchasing a dummies guide to mythology!
- This year I also want to be prepared for university. Usually when the academic year comes along I am anything but prepared. This time I will be heading into my final year, therefore this is prime time to turn up completely prepared. So from purchasing the novels and texts I will be studying, to identifying when I will be in attendance to classes even to making sure I have everything I need before I leave home, (because I always forget something) I will have done it!
- I want to go to the beach. This is completely elementary so it should be easy to tick off the list. It’s actually so easy that I shouldn’t even need to include it. The problem is though with no holiday’s planned and sunny weather in England being limited, trips to the beach are fairly uncommon for me. Thus I am writing it down in hope that this goal will amount to something!
- I want to go to the zoo and the safari park. Personally, I love a good day trip to somewhere like the zoo or a safari park. It is probably one of my favourite places to visit. Usually we head to Chester Zoo and West Midlands Safari Park, so these will probably be the places I will head to this summer. The best thing about WMSP though? They give you a free ticket to return again in the future!
- Since I am coming up to the most important and the last year of my education I feel it is important to establish some future goals. Thus this summer I will zone in on what I am looking to achieve once I have finished university. Therefore I will look into things like careers, extracurricular programmes I could take part in and potential post graduate courses.
- I also hope to be more experimental with cooking. I recently bought the ever so popular ‘Lean in 15’ recipe book; and although I have tried out one or two of the recipes I have yet to conquer any bigger ones. So this summer I will strive to recreate some of Joe Wicks’ delicious recipes
- I will end this list with: blogging. I hope that over the summer I will actively make blogging a part of my life. Thus I hope to be consistent with posts and imaginative with my post ideas!
I feel like I have plenty of time to accomplish most if not all of these points, and I’ll probably end up adding to this list in future. So we’ll see how it goes and I’ll keep you informed as to how they are going. The most interesting thing though will be when I look back at the end of summer to see just how well I have done. If you have any goals that you are aiming to accomplish this summer do share, I’m always up for more ideas!
Until next time…